Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Classes: half way point

It is now the 7th week of classes at The University of Newcastle, so I am officially half way done with the semester. I am taking 3 courses, Human Pathophysiology, Communication and Discourse, and Aboriginal Studies. The semesters here are 12 weeks long followed by a 3 week period for final exams, rather than 15 weeks with a finals week like most universities in the States. Classes are also much different here in Australia than in the U.S. For each of my classes, the grade is made up of only a few assessments. For example, in my HUBS 2505 course, Human Pathophysiology, we have two mini tests each worth 25% of our grade and a final exam worth 50% of our total grade. In my Aboriginal Studies course, ABOR 1110, the class is made up of 10 weekly modules and a final essay, each 50%. There is not graded homework or busy work, so it is crucial to stay on top of things. It has felt really bizarre because normally 6 weeks into a semester I would have done several assignments and exams, but all I have completed thus far is 1 exam, 1 essay, and 5 modules. Also, the grading system is very different here. Instead of A, B, C, D, F they have High Distinction, Distinction, Credit, Pass, Fail.

I don't have class on Fridays which is super nice, and my Monday class is later in the day so if I do travel over the weekend I can usually make it back in time. If not, all of the lectures here are recorded and put online a few hours later to watch if you missed class.


         My course calendar for the semester

         The Australia grading scale

2 comments:

  1. At present, there are many education consultants in pakistan offering their professional education consultancy services. But not all of them are professional, as they don’t have the in depth knowledge about the overseas market.

    ReplyDelete